Pausing or deactivating your Shopify store is a straightforward process. Depending on your needs, you can either pause your store temporarily or deactivate it completely. Here’s how to do both:
Pausing Your Shopify Store
If you want to pause your store and continue working on it, Shopify offers a “Pause and Build” plan. Here are the steps to pause your store:
1. Log in to your Shopify store as the store owner.
2. In the Shopify admin, click on Settings > Plan.
3. Click on Deactivate store > Pause and build plan.
4. Review the plan details, and then click Switch to Pause and build.
This plan reduces your monthly cost to $9 USD and allows you to access your Shopify admin and edit your products, but disables the checkout, preventing customers from making purchases
Deactivating Your Shopify Store
To completely deactivate your store and cancel your Shopify subscription:
1. Go to Settings > Plan from your Shopify admin.
2. Click on Deactivate store.
3. Review options to switch to the Pause and build plan, or start a new store, if applicable.
4. If you still want to deactivate, click on Deactivate store again.
5. Select a reason for deactivation and click Continue.
6. Enter your password, and then click Deactivate now.
You’ll receive an email confirming that your store is deactivated. Remember, once you deactivate your store, your Shopify subscription is canceled, and you will lose access to your Shopify admin. If you wish to log back in later, you’ll need to enter a valid payment method to reactivate your store.
When pausing or deactivating your store, it’s important to consider the status of any third-party apps, your custom domain, and any outstanding financial obligations, as these might affect or be affected by the status of your store.